Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Lord's Supper Picture



Years and years ago, I found a pattern to crochet a Lord's Supper Picture in fillet crochet. This was to be done in # 30 thread. The first number of years, I had it on a piece of plywood - no glass or frame. Then my father-in-law made me a frame for my Christmas present one year. This is very heavy as it measures 35" x 53" inches and he put paneling on the back to close it up. This is displayed in our living room. And when we have moved in the past it is normally the last thing off the wall as I cannot manage it alone. It takes at least two people to hang it.
I started this in my teens, set it on the shelf for about 10 years and when I reached my twenties took the challenge to finish it. It wasn't till I was totally done that I counted to make sure I had all the disciples shown on the completed picture. Even if some were only the back of their heads. Yes, they are all there.
When I no longer have room for this, I shall probably have to donate it to a church somewhere.
I have taken this same pattern and made cross stitch pictures of this pattern. They are much easier to manage and have made lovely gifts.
The first one I did was for Kim, it was white thread on red counted cross stitch material.... I spilled Pepsi on it.... Yep the red bled so I had pink and red, so when done I soaked the whole thing in Pepsi so it was all pink and red.




Sorry the glass glared a bit when the photo was taken, but this will give you an idea what the counted cross stitch pictures look like. I've also done a number of them with Brown thread on light brown. I liked the way they turned out also.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Wow, Verna, you make beautiful things. I know the quilt you gave Alissa and Nathan was very much appreciated and loved. I know that special little girl in Wisconsin will love her quilt.